Hayhurst has a long-standing tradition of enthusiastic participation in OBOB and this year looks to continue that tradition!
OBOB is a statewide competition for students in grades 3-4-5. Students form teams of 4-5 kids and read books from the official list. Teams compete to answer questions about the books and the winning team goes on to Regionals to represent Hayhurst.
Ms. Aalto (3rd grade) and I have been talking to all the classes in grades 3-4-5 about OBOB and all the books on the list are available in the library for check out. Kids who are interested should start reading the books and talking to their friends about forming a team.
The official schedule is:
- 10/25 3-4-5 OBOB assembly – permission slips given out to interested students
- 10/28 Parent meeting in the library at 2:30 (team coaches or parents of participants with questions, adults only)
- 11/4 OBOB team meetings begin in the library 2:30-3:30 (voluntary)
- 12/9 Demonstration battle in the library
- 12/16, 1/6, 1/13 Practice battles in the library
- Mid February (TBD) School battles begin
- Early March (TBD) Regionals
If your child already has an OBOB team formed and you’ve decided who will be the Team Coach you don’t have to wait! You can start meeting as a team, dividing up the book list, choosing a team name, etc. whenever you like.
We look forward to another exciting year of reading!