Hayhurst Chess Club
The Hayhurst Chess Club is accepting registrations for the new academic year. We are open to students of all abilities, whether they are learning the rules for the first time or striving to win state championships.
Laura Jones, our librarian, is our faculty sponsor, with Chad and Caleb returning to serve as volunteer coaches.
In addition to weekly practices, all students have access to the ChessKid Gold Curriculum. There will be ample opportunities to play in local and state tournaments for students interested in competition. Last year several students brought home individual and team awards!
Registration for 2018-19
There is no fee to join the club. All interested students (including returning students) must register by returning this form to the classroom teacher or to the office by Wednesday, Sept 12th, 2018.
2018-19 Practice Schedule
Location: School Library
Time: 2:15 PM-3:15 PM
Dates: Wednesday, September 26th (1st and 2nd grades) and Thursday, September 27th (3rd, 4th, and 5th grades). Practices continue on Wednesdays for lower grades and Thursdays for upper grades.
All interested students (including returning students) must register by returning this form to the classroom teacher or to the office by Wednesday, Sept 12th.
Hayhurst Chess Club Updates
Many thanks to the families who came to our Hayhurst Halloween Chess Tournament, especially those who gave their time before, during, and after the event. For Chess Club families, please make sure to read to the bottom for a big announcement about what we are doing...read more
ChessKid Fall Puzzle Challenge Now and running through January 1, kids can earn prizes by completing puzzles on ChessKid. Points are earned only if you get it correct on the first try, so take your time. Find full details here. This is open to kids even if they are on...read more
Quads start at 7 PM at Trunk or Treat on October 26. Sign up closes at 6:45. These are a series of quad style blitz tournaments in the cafeteria. Play three quick games (10 minutes or less) against people your own strength (beginner to advanced). Everyone gets candy....read more
The Hayhurst Chess Club's biggest fundraiser of the year draws 150+ K-12 players from across Oregon and Washington. Kids are grouped based by experience level for five rounds of chess, with check-or-treating taking place between each round. Hayhurst kids took home...read more
Chess Club Guidelines for Behavior
Just like during the school day Chess Club is guided by the PBIS expectations that keep our school safe and positive!
- I always come straight to chess club and check in.
- I walk in the library and the halls.
- I don’t throw chess pieces.
- I won’t leave chess club without checking with Ms. Jones or Coach Chad.
- I remember that chess is a thinking game so I keep my voice level at a 1 or 2.
- I listen to the chess lesson.
- I always demonstrate good sportsmanship (no insults or put-downs).
- I win with grace and lose with dignity.
- I play with any partner and will be friendly and cooperative.
- I get an adult if there is a dispute that my opponent and I can’t resolve peacefully.
- I treat the chess sets with care and will reset the board before I put it away to make sure all the pieces are there.
- I clean up after myself in the library.
- I follow the rules of chess, including touch-move.
- I play my own game and don’t interfere with other people’s games