We are excited to have so many parents willing to share their time and energy during lunch recess. In order to best support our teachers and students and to create a volunteer opportunity that best utilizes volunteer time, please follow the following procedures when volunteering during lunch recess:
1. Check in at the office. Sign in and get a volunteer badge to wear while you’re on the playground and in the school.
2. Once out on the playground, check in with Ms. Schlegel so that you can be assigned to a specific space/activity. Please remain engaged with the students at that space/activity until recess (or your volunteer time) is over!
3. If you see something about which you are unsure or uncomfortable, direct your concern to the closest staff member.
4. If conflict resolution between students is needed, seek assistance from the closest staff member. Do not attempt to resolve issues between students, particularly students with whom you are not familiar.
5. In order to promote a positive, engaging experience, please keep all technology off the playground. Per PPS policy, photos and/or video are not allowed. If you need a space in which to lock up your belongings while you are volunteering, please let us know.
6. Check out at the office when you are done volunteering.
Portland Public Schools