REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM ANNOUNCED
Congratulations to the ten children who earned an invitation to The Chess for Success Region 1 Championship on February 17. Congratulations also to the four kids chosen to serve as alternates. Invitations were emailed today. Permission slips are due Friday January 19.
Kids participating in regionals are highly encouraged to attend the Lincoln Chess Tournament on February 3 (see below). This would be a great place to work on using a clock and notating.
Hayhurst sent four students to the Catlin Gabel Chess Festival on January 6. Congratulations to Jasper for winning his first medal and moving up a new rating category. Congratulations also to Sam and Annika, who held their own in in U1000 (!), and to Pace who earned an even score in U1400.
The ChessKid Puzzle Contest ends on January 31. Remember: you only score by solving a puzzle correctly on your first try. So take your time and find the right move!
UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS (see oscf.org for a full list):
- February 3: Lincoln Chess Tournamentin Portland. Last year Hayhurst won both team and individual awards. Let’s do it again this year! Register by January 31.
- February 17: Chess for Success Region 1 Tournament at West Hills Christian School, Portland. Invitation only.
- February 24: Carden Cascade Academy Tournamentin Hillsboro
- March 9-10: Chess for Success State Tournament. Invitation only.
- March 17: OES Aardvark Tournamentin Portland
- April 7: Vangie Shaw Memorial Girls Play Chess Tournament in Portland (Chess for Success Event, Free, Unrated).
- April 13-14: OSCF State Championship in Seaside.
WANT MORE GAMES BUT CAN’T DEVOTE AN ENTIRE DAY? TRY QUADS!
OSCF State Qualifier Quads:
- Chess Odyssey Friday Night Quads in Portland: Friday January 12 & 26 from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. at Sunset Presbyterian Churchin Portland.
- Silver Knights Chess Club Quads in Portland: Sundays January 13 & 28 from 2:15 to 5:30 pm at Portland Chess Club, 8205 SW 24th Ave, Portland, OR 97219
- Chess4Kids Club Quads in Portland: January 20 from 5:45 pm to 9 pm at 15220 NW Laidlaw Rd #250, Portland, OR 97229.
To find a complete listing of OSCF qualifier events and other chess tournaments in the Northwest, see the NWSRS calendar.