Hayhurst Chess Club is accepting applications for Fall 2020/2021. We are open to students of all abilities, whether they are learning the rules for the first time or striving to win state championships. All interested students (including returning students) must register by completing this form.
Chad Lykins (USCF Tournament Director, OSCF Vice-President) and Matt Zavortink (USCF National Master and two-time Oregon State Champion) are back as coaches for 2020/2021. They have been working all summer to develop online lessons that are engaging and effective. Lessons will take place on Zoom and Lichess.
There will be ample opportunities to play in online tournaments. We expect several students to bring home individual and team awards!
Each lesson is 60 minutes of instructor-facilitated lessons and games, with a free option to continue open play (without cameras or coaches) with classmates for an additional 30 minutes.
Class size limited to 16 students.
1. Achievements: Celebrating development milestones for each player (5 minutes)
2. Game Analysis: Highlighting teachable moments in student games (5 minutes)
3. Tactics and Strategy: Focused overview on key concepts (10 minutes)
4. Puzzles: Developing calculation, visualization, and pattern recognition (10 minutes)
5. Open Play: Students play each other and the coach in Lichess Arenas and Simuls (30-60 minutes)
Class Days and Times:
Grade 1-2 Beginner: Wednesday 2:20-3:20pm (open play available until 3:50)
– For kids in Grade 1-2 who are new to Hayhurst Chess Club.
Grade 1-2 Intermediate: Wednesday 3:30-4:30pm (open play available until 5:00)
– For kids in Grade 1-2 who are in their second year in Hayhurst Chess Club.
Grade 3-5 Beginner/Intermediate: Thursday 2:20-3:20pm (open play available until 3:50)
– For kids in Grade 3-5 who are unrated or who have a NWSRS rating under 600.
Grade 3-5 Intermediate/Advanced: Thursday 3:30-4:30pm (open play available until 5:00)
– For kids in Grade 3-5 who were in this group last year or have a NWSRS rating over 600. Others require coach approval.
Grades 1-2: September 9, 16, 23, 30; October 7, 14, 21, 28; November 4, 11, 18; December 2, 9, 16
Grades 3-5: September 10, 17, 24; October 1, 8, 15, 22, 29; November 5, 12, 19; December 3, 10, 17
$140/student (14 lessons x $10 lesson)