As you may or may not know we have a number of families in the Hayhurst community who are food insecure. With thanks to Take Action, Fred Meyer, Hayhurst PTA, Odyssey PTA and Ainsworth PTA for their generous donations we are able to provide weekly bags of food to Hayhurst, Odyssey and Ainsworth families in need to help them through the weekend.
Please come join us in filling the bags every Friday morning in the cafeteria starting at 8 a.m. It typically takes about 30 minutes. No need to sign up just come after you grab your coffee from the coffee cart!
This year we intend to create personal hygiene bags on the 3rd Friday of the month.
More Ways to Help
Ways you can help:
- Join us to help fill bags. (Younger siblings and Middle Schoolers are always welcome)
- Bring us your gently used cloth grocery bags.
- Can you write grants? We are always looking for someone to seek out and write grants.
- We are looking for volunteers to Coordinate the following:
- Personal Hygiene Bag Coordinator. Coordinate the personal hygiene bags once a month. This will involve pricing out items and purchasing. We have a list of items to work from. PTA reimburses for this.
- Personal Hygiene drive Coordinator. Coordinate a drive at Hayhurst. We have a list of items we are seeking it would just be advertising and collecting.
- Bread Purchase and Pick Up. Pick up Bread on Thursday afternoons and bring it to school Friday morning. PTA reimburses for this.
- Produce Pick up from Raleigh Hills Fred Meyer. We are looking for additional people to pick up produce at Fred Meyer on Thursday afternoons. The order will be placed ahead of time we just need help picking it up.
New in 2018: Recycle to Support Food Bags with Bottle Deposit Returns
We are asking for your bottle deposit returns to help fund the food bags. You can drop off bags of Oregon Bottle Deposit cans and bottles (glass or plastic with the OR 10 cent mark on it) in the NE corner of the cafetorium at the PTA closet door; we will set up a bin there for your returns.
Ideas/Questions – Get In Touch
All ideas are always welcome. Every year this program gets better as we make changes when people bring in new ideas.
Please contact Rachel Dvorsky with questions or to get involved.