An inclusive playground is coming to Gabriel Park!
Thanks to funding from the Parks Replacement Bond and System Development Charges, construction will begin in mid-March 2021 on the next inclusive playground in the PP&R system at Gabriel Park in southwest Portland. The new playground will provide a rich play experience for kids of all abilities to access and enjoy. Construction will be completed by winter 2021/22.
The entire playground will be closed during construction, as well as adjacent pathways and the restroom. Temporary portable toilets will be provided. Thanks for your patience while we build your new, inclusive playground!
- The new, larger Gabriel Park play area will feature:
- An inclusive in-ground trampoline that allows users to wheel or walk onto the feature
- Accessible routes to all play equipment
- An inclusive spinner that allows users to wheel or walk on, promoting collaborative play
- Swings for people of all abilities and ages
- Brightly colored smooth rubber safety surfacing throughout the play area
- Interactive sensory panels that provide a range of texture, sight, and auditory engagement for all users
- Two accessible slides for all users; one low, wide slide that can accommodate individuals or an individual and a caregiver side-by-side, and one tall tube slide with transfer platforms at the top and bottom for mobility device users
- Small rubber mounds to assist in scrambling up the hillside
- A climbing wall and inclusive climbing dome to encourage creative play and social interaction
- Interactive music elements and water play features for sensory play and social interaction
- Seating areas and quiet spots to take a break
- Accessible picnic area with drinking fountain and bike racks for gatherings
- Accessible pathways from the parking lot, SW Vermont Street, and from the TriMet bus stop at SW 37th Avenue
- Parking and restroom accessibility improvements
- 37 new trees
Find more information on the project webpage.
Maija Spencer, Parks Bond Community Engagement
503-823-5593 | firstname.lastname@example.org